« Home | My third string is better than your third string » | Generations will reap what I sow » | Party on » | L.?.V.E. » | First down ... » | Just keep swimming .... just keep swimming » | The dress dilemma - conclusion » | He could have danced all night - the pictures » | The new me » | Genna and Walker ... again »

Time keeps on tickin' tickin' tickin'

In my opinion, JJ and I are perfectly matched. This is not to say we are not without our differences. But first our similarities - we're both reasonable, we both like cold weather, we both like Mexican food and we both like Chinese food and a bunch of other small and big things. And then of course there are differences. One of our big differences is our timing issues. Not timing as in "On your mark, get set, go!" timing but timing as in how we get things done. Through years of insane busy-ness and organization in high school and college (I was your typical over-extended, over-commited high school and college student) I learned to do things in advance. If there's a paper due Monday, I have it written by Saturday night. Exam Tuesday morning? By 9 pm on Monday night or maybe 10 or 11 the studying is all done. No last minute panicking for me. I don't like surprises so if I can avoid them, I will. Then, there's JJ. I think part of it comes from working in papers for so long but he doesn't do things until deadline. Let me make this clear, he always gets things done on time as in our bills get paid on time, he gets to work on time every morning and as a general rule he's on time to most things. But the difference is that if something needs to be done by 4 pm on Monday, JJ will get it done probably no earlier than 2 pm that same day. Me? If it's possible it was done on Friday. Part of this is due to the fact that JJ just enjoys time more than I do I think. Case in point, he'll get up at 8:15 even though he doesn't need to be at work until 10. He'll wander out and watch something Tivo picked up, eat his breakfast, take a shower, wander into the study and read his morning websites, wander back out and watch more TV. And eventually, around 9:45 am he'll realize that he's still not dressed and from then on it's an all out sprint as he gets dressed, brushes his teeth and shaves (sometimes). There are some days he'll come home from work and I will chastise him because he didn't shave that morning. "I got busy" he says or "I was in a rush and I forgot". I am always baffled by these answers because he's been awake for an hour and a half! In an hour and a half I can watch a TV show, take a shower, make a lunch, have breakfast, and brush my teeth. And then have time left over! It's not that I don't buy his response. I do. But it still baffles me that the hour of sit-around-and-do-basically-nothing time is worth the rushing and then forgetting something at the end. If it were me I'd get up at 9, thus giving myself 45 minutes more sleep, shower, get dressed, have my breakfast at a leisurely pace, make my lunch, catch maybe 20 minutes of TV and head out the door. No rushing at all, but definitely time to do everything that needs to be done and no just-sitting-there-doing-nothing-else time. We're different I guess. But I still think we're perfect for each other. At least until the newlywed-ness wears off I suppose. All together now: Awwwwwwwwww!

Awwwww...some! Great post... loved hearing about a-day-in-the-life-of-J.J. from the eyes of his wife.

Post a Comment

Links