The end of an era
Well ... I guess that's end of it. At least for 2004. Yesterday the Steelers lost to the Patriots in spectacular fashion. I'm not going to torture myself with the details of it but you can click here and find out exactly how things went wrong. But let's just say this ... 3 interceptions does not a championship make. However ... Ben's young, he's talented, and hopefully he'll be playing in the steel city for awhile. That's the good news for Steelers fans out there. That being said, I think I'm going to leave that subject at that. That and I'm looking forward to next season already. 7 months is a long time to wait before those guys take to the field again. Last week Bill Simmons who writes for ESPN's Page 2 wrote the following: Worst-case scenario for the Steelers: They can't run the ball, Big Ben craps the bed, Brady picks them apart, Dillon finishes them off. That was too freakishly close to what actually happened, wasn't it? Sports fanaticism is a remarkable phenomenon. Nothing seems to capture the ups and downs of human-ness better than the 3 hours of a football game or the 4-7 hours of a baseball game or the 2 hours of a basketball game. Fortunes can change without warning and while usually the most talented, ready, and well-poised team wins, sometimes a little luck makes it all the more interesting. I'm not sure I'll ever truly understand the sports fan. I really don't think I will. I was so disappointed the Steelers lost last night but unfortunately for me ... I was in the presence of man who was more disappointed than I. I was out-disappointed by a long shot. And over the last couple of weeks, watching JJ watch the Steelers play, I've come to realize that he's not necessarily crazy. It is the same passion he has for the Steelers that allows him to love me as completely as he does. This is the same passion that gives some the heart for missions trips, it is the same passion that gives others the heart for ministry, and still others love for what is beautiful and artistic. And that passion is important because without it life would be really boring. I have to admit that I rarely, if ever, worry that another woman will steal away the affections of my JJ. But there's a team of 53 men out there that sometimes rattles me. I was torn last night because I was devastated we lost, and I'm sure I was actually more disappointed than JJ realized I was because I really was pretty bummed and I think he thought I was just relieved the season was over, but it sort of means that we have our Sundays back. Now, I'm not sure what we're going to do with all that free time ... but ... hey, we've got it now. There are a few Steelers hitting the free agent market come the end of the season. Stay tuned for updates. I don't know that I could ever watch something like the draft ... but ... I will be keeping my eye on that 05-06 roster with great interest.