Non-labor-day Labor day
When I was in elementary school Labor Day was always the first holiday we got to look forward to. School always started, for unknown reasons, on August 28th or thereabouts and then usually about 5 days later Labor Day would hit and we would get our first day off from school. As a graduate student I still have that luxury and most of the working world has Labor Day off, too. This year, not so. At the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill this year Labor Day is a "staff holiday" but not a student holiday. We will be holding class. Luckily I neither teach nor have class that day but my friend Jeff (who also is in my lab) does. He teaches. His fiance, Nadine, lives in Toronto. They see each other about twice a year. Nadine just found out that she gets Labor Day off - she had not originally thought that this would be the case. She called Jeff and booked a flight to come down for the long weekend ... and Jeff has to teach on Monday. Doesn't that suck? I likely will sub for Jeff that Monday because well, I'm probably going to be at work anyway and if JJ had taken off a day especially for me, well, I'd hope that I'd get to spend it with him. All's fair in love, right? JJ has to work on Labor Day, too. The issue must go on ... regardless of the holidays or otherwise. And that's an issue Monday. So to work we shall both go on our non-Labor-Day vacation.