« Home | Well it's one of those times where I can't help bu... » | Feels like today » | Take two » | Valentine find » | Well, I've been doing all the work posting stuff f... » | UAAs 2005 - day 1 » | Sweet September » | You left a present under the tree ... » | Brown paper packages tied up with strings ... » | You Are a Visionary Soul You are ... »

Weekend of Angela

Well I turned 23 on Saturday. I guess after 21 all birthdays are anti-climactic and I can't help but be a little blah about the way mine have gone. It's not that they aren't good ... they are. But they are never good in the sense that it could have been any other day. They're just good days with a title, I guess. I'm not dissatisfied with them ... I just have a hard time distinguishing them from any other day. JJ thinks that my birthday should be this whole big thing where I get to make (reasonable) demands and I get what I want, eat what I want etc. It's a nice thought but I can't imagine putting aside my better judgment for the sake of a day of me. It just doesn't make any sense. At any rate, it was still a busy weekend. At 8 am on Saturday I had the North Carolina Cognition Group meeting at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem. I was presenting a poster of our (mine and Neil's) research from last semester and as this was the first time I was presenting work the usual nerves set in. However, it went quite well and I think (hope) that Neil was pleased with how it turned out. After the conference I was exhausted so I took a nap and around 7 JJ took me out for dinner at Lime & Basil where we had pho (yummy) and then we had cheesecake and watched October Sky. It was nice. Low key, but nice. However, again, nothing out of the ordinary so hard for me to get all excited about it. Yesterday was sort of surreal. JJ and I had calzones from I Heart NY Pizza for lunch and around 5:30 pm we discovered, JJ more than me, that maybe the food was tainted. JJ got sick from it (which was awful) and I was all disappointed because I thought it meant he couldn't come to my/Sabrina's birthday dinner which we were having last night since Sabrina's birthday is tomorrow. Don't get me wrong - if he were sick I wouldn't want him coming anyway - but there were about 30 minutes there where I was torn between being really disappointed he couldn't/shouldn't come and being really worried. There's nothing like watching your fiance puke and knowing there's nothing you can do about it. But JJ felt better so we headed off to a lovely steak restaurant where neither of us ate steak. His stomach definitely couldn't handle it and mine, though not as bad as his, was not happy with what I had eaten for lunch either. I ended up with a baked potato and a salad. A really good salad, but still a salad. Then we went to Curtis and Rachel's (I knew we couldn't have a birthday for Sabrina without Rae ... and Curtis is fun, too) for ice cream cake and presents. I got Sabrina a set of martini glasses and she got me some super cute, silver, sparkly earrings. Curtis and Rachel got me a plastic cockroach. Still it was fun to hang out with Curtis and Rae since we don't get to do that very often even though we like them a lot. Around 10 pm JJ had had enough so we headed home. I have mixed feelings about what birthdays should or should not be. When I figure that one out, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Links