« Home | Mad Hatter » | TGI Weekend » | I thee wed » | Why We Play » | 25 minutes » | 10 things I wish I could find the time for ... » | Beautiful one I adore » | Genna Ray » | What can I say but awwwww ...   » | At your service ...   »

Pomp and circumstance

My brother is graduating from college Friday. That makes 2 of us. It's funny how he and I have turned out. We both graduated from the same program from the same high school, we will, as of Friday, graduate from the same university, my beloved Washington University in St. Louis. Our whole lives my brother has been the one to take the edge off stuff. He's even keeled, unless he's been wronged, and he'll be quick to tell you if that's the case. He taught me about what is fair and what is not - he was rational long before I was, it seems. There are some things about my brother that are uniquely him: his affinity for solitude, his loyalty, his desire and ability to keep friendships going. And there are some things about my brother that define him: his sense of humor, his amazing video game and technology abilities, and his fascination with his hobbies. It's not surprising that the man I'm going to marry has a lot of the same qualities as my brother because my brother is one of my favorite people in the whole wide world. It's hard for me to imagine that he's really graduating the day after tomorrow. When people asked me what my very first memory was (and this happens a lot when you take as many memory classes in college and grad school as I do) it was always of my brother's first day of school. I remember that he was wearing shorts and was carrying his rectangular backpack with the red and brown stripes and silver buckles, running down the sidewalk towards Collegiate which is where we both started our academic careers. But if you ask me what my favorite memories are of my brother well I am ashamed to say that most of them are from more recent years because it wasn't until I grew up that I realized how great he really is. So here they are ... some favorite memories ... ** sharing one set of headphones while running errands with my mom - we ran into someone we knew and he made fun of us because I had one earphone and my brother had the other "What, you guys have to be attached to each other so you don't get lost? ** all the nights at Danny's house that included 2 video game sets, Danny's big screen TV, lots and lots of movie watching, Tetris Attack, going to movies like Ocean's 11, and the first 2 Star Wars movies ** finding out Bryant was coming to Wash U, too ** when Bryant came to visit me my freshman year in college for spring break - running 1/2 a mile up Big Bend while it was raining ** East High orchestra Congrats, Bryant. I'm proud of you.

Links