« Home | Drop one pearl for me » | Beyond the profile » | SCF seeks SWM » | I've got my eye on you » | A culinary interlude ... and other tidbits » | Pomp and Circumstance 2006 » | So what do you do when you have to, you know ... » | Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small » | It has the urgency of a 4 alarm fire » | Where I Come From »

And a partridge in a pear tree

I'm watching an episode of one of my favorite shows, Frasier, and it's the one where the guy in the hospital pretends to be Frasier to get bumped in the line so he can be seen sooner. The stranger dies of a heart attack, and so the public mistakenly thinks Frasier is dead. Frasier then reads his own obituary and realizes that his life wasn't ever as accomplished as he thought or hoped it would be. It got me thinking ... what would I want to accomplish? I'm not talking about leaving a huge legacy, about being wildly popular or anything like that. What are three things, just three!, that you would want to accomplish before you ... you know ... head off into the misty unknown. I know of 2 that I want - right off the top of my head, but I'm struggling with number 3. My top two are write a book and run a marathon. What are yours?

One thing that I always said I wanted to accomplish, I actually managed to do. That was to eat an entire meal of foods that came on sticks. Appetizer, main course and dessert. Yes, it was awesome.

I don't have anything serious to add at the moment, but if I think of something, I'll come back.

I'd like to be a doctor, not MD, but PhD... I'd prefer philosophy, but I don't really care, I'd just like to get a PhD someday. That requires a Masters, so perhaps that could be my number two. Other than that, I'd only like to be a good dad and good husband. If my "o-bit" said only that I was a good father and loving husband, I think I'd be content.

hey angela,

nicole's bf, dave here. after following your xanga link, which led me to your livejournal link, i finally found your current online journal, your blogger! :)

i wanted to thank you for your comment and sharing your story with me. i also appreciate your encouragement, and i admire people who get out of the rat race and respond to God's calling. some times it feels like everyone out here in CA is trying to get their own, and there certainly are people who seem so work-oriented that their life is just about work, work, and...more work ;p at the same time, it's tough when everyone around you is getting their graduate degrees, high-paying jobs, and you're not doing the same and have parents that remind you so. so, it's commendable that you are following God's calling to do kingdom work. i'm glad to hear that your husband has been very supportive of you, as he should be :)

thanks again for your encouraging and supportive words. i appreciate it!

dave

ps. hmmm...and 3 things i'd like to do in my lifetime? run a marathon (in progress :), become a good cook/enroll in a culinary program, and use my skills/services to bridge the socioeconomic divide.

Post a Comment

Links