« Home | The wheels on the bus go ... » | Random thoughts » | Non-labor-day Labor day » | How much is that doggie in the window? » | Boring survey » | Semper Fi » | Time keeps on tickin' tickin' tickin' » | My third string is better than your third string » | Generations will reap what I sow » | Party on »

On the road again

Today marks the first official day of class around here. To me what that means is getting up early (or at least earlier than usual for me), crowded parking lots, even more crowded buses, crowded campus and crowded buildings. It means cold, sometimes soggy, sandwiches for lunch and caffeine in the morning. It means the Pit will be crowded and there will be undergraduates roaming the halls. On the other hand it means that fall is coming, that new academic progress will be made and more ambitions fulfilled. It goes both ways I guess. I sometimes try and remember what it was like to go back to school as a kid. I never remember being all that rebellious about it. When high school rolled around I was downright excited to go back to school (other than the heat in our non-air-conditioned, 75 year old building) but I mean as a little kid, someone Jaylyn's age or Genna's age. Is it excitement? Bewilderment? Wonder? Genna, our niece, started kindergarten this year. The last we talked to her they were working on the letter "L". My guess is that the next day the letter "M" was coming. I wrote my sister-in-law a few weeks ago asking how school was going and she replied that Genna says there is so much work in kindergarten that it makes her want to throw up. Now, I don't know about you, but that's some work! Walker started pre-K this year, which I believe is only a few days a week. He's not much of a phone talker so I haven't gotten to talk to him since he started school. JJ got to for a little while a couple of weeks ago. But Walker's favorite part of the year is coming, even if he might not know it. He's a huge football fan, like father and uncle, like son I guess. Wonder if I'll get to see him in his little Roethlisberger jersey at some point. The Steelers are playing on Christmas Eve and since Perry is our destination for Christmas ... and since Sean doesn't have to work weekends anymore ... maybe we'll get to watch a game together. Doesn't that sound like fun? Okay, well it sounds like fun to me.

Links