« Home | Top 5 » | I just wanna go home » | Hooky » | Birthday weekend » | Happy Birthday! .... just .... kidding » | Waiting waiting » | How much is that doggie in the window ... again » | Old dogs, new tricks » | The week » | The things you find »

Happy Busiest Shopping Day!

I am staying as far away as I can from anything that remotely resembles a department store or a discount store today. It's just better for me I think. Yesterday was eventful. First, we took the dog back to the shelter. I know what you're thinking. 2 days - losers. However, turns out the doggie had some pretty serious separation anxiety problems, not to mention the whole peeing on himself thing. Plus the walk-him-every-twenty-minutes-but-he-won't-go-outside-he'll-pee-inside thing. We just couldn't handle it. So we took him back. Then we cleaned and cooked. I made mashed potatoes, green beans, creamed corn and yeast rolls. I also made cornbread but do to a user error, the bottom and sides all burned black and it wasn't really edible. Jamie and her mom made a 11.5 pound turkey, stuffing, sweet potato casserole, gravy, pink Jell-o, and a yummy wildberry cobbler for dessert. If you're keeping track this is what the spread looked like last night: 11.5 pound turkey stuffing sweet potato casserole green beans black eyed peas (JJ wanted those) creamed corn yeast rolls mashed potatoes gravy pink Jell-o cranberry sauce wildberry cobbler and ice cream (for dessert) all in large quantities. Then, we broke out some of our fancy schmancy wedding gifts and used them. Our lovely monogrammed ice bucket and tongs, water glasses, everyday china (we are not opening that fine china until we have a china hutch - I forbid it), linen placemats and napkins, and silver. Our favorite wedding gift discovery was probably the silver plated water pitcher. And that's because it has a little rim thing that prevents ice from coming shooting out of the pitcher when you pour. There were only 5 people - me and JJ, Jamie, her mom and Scott. There are leftovers. I ate the leftover corn and mashed potatoes this morning and Jamie, being the keeper of the bird and all the stuff she made, has the rest. The turkey was amazing. Usually I need gravy to make my turkey consumable but this turkey was amazing - juicy and seasoned and just really really tasty. My tummy was grumpy so I only had firsts. JJ had seconds and maybe even thirds. After dinner we laid on the couches and watched a movie then had dessert. If I could have found my flashcard in the mess I would have taken pictures. But I didn't. So I don't have any. I think I might try roasting a chicken like Jamie roasted that turkey. It was unbelievably good. And at dinner the conversation was lively and funny and just really jolly. Tomorrow we're going to get our Christmas tree and some ornaments from Pier 1 (I'm all about the plain bulb ornaments and white lights - those are my favorite) and I think that today we're going to hang some lovely decorations and paintings and all. It's the first time I've had any reason to have a Christmas tree where I was living (in past years I've always not been where I was living during the year for Christmas) and it's our first married Christmas so we're going to decorate a little. Happy Busiest Shopping Day of the year!

Roasted chicken is delicious. I used to make it with rosemary and garlic. Actually I'd just make a chicken breast.

Saute some garlic cloves (5 or 6) in some olive oil until its soft, remove from heat. Add the rosemary, and take out the garlic. Stick the garlic under the skin in different places, baste the chicken in the rosemary olive oil and then roast it. Delicious.

I also like to add some stuffing to this mix. Stovetop, embellished with sauteed onions, carrots, and celery and then made with chicken broth. Stuff some in the bird and the rest around the bird. YUM.

Sorry to hear about the dog.

Post a Comment

Links