« Home | C'mon c'mon c'mon, let's go ... » | It's been a hard day's night » | In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of... » | One more year » | *cough* and *sniff* » | Musings on chlorine » | New baby new life, we will teach him to speak French » | I never even had a chance you know » | The honeymoon is over » | All I need is ... a seat for two and my love for you »

Ch-ch-chaaanges

On Tuesay, Roxy was CRABBY. She was whiny, she looked droopy (she's usually a very happy, bouncy, lovable dog), she wouldn't listen to us, she tried to nip our fingers and toes (unusual for her), and mostly she just seemed sad. Even her favorite treats - goldfish crackers or peanut butter - didn't seem to cheer her up. I was worried. After all, for nearly 4 weeks she had been the most cheerful, happy, silly, bouncy little dog. But yesterday she was typical Roxy again. Woke us up by wagging her tail so hard it thumped against the wall, wanted us to rub her belly, wanted to play with her ball, did her favorite trick of rolling over onto her back and waving her paws in the air, loved her treats and so on. Well I start looking up online to see if dogs, like people, just have "bad days." You know the ones where you look bad, feel bad, and act bad. Turns out, Roxy's a teenager! I had this general idea that by the time dogs are 2 that they are done with the whole puberty thing and that they're all grown up. That's what the vet who we adopted her from seemed to intimate. Noooope! Apparently for some dogs they can keep growing up until they're almost 3. Our best guess is that Roxy is somewhere around 19-25 months old according to our vet and she's already had a litter of puppies (don't get me started on my dog's teenage pregnancy ;-)) so if she is still in adolescence, it's very late adolescence, like the 17-19 stage. I'm pawning off her funky behavior for 36 hours on that. But when I got home from work Wednesday afternoon she was lovely and has been ever since. Or maybe she was just telling us that she needed a bath. After all, we gave her one Tuesday night and she does seem to be all better now.

Links