New baby new life, we will teach him to speak French
No we're not having kids. But a lot of my friends either have them or are getting them (Kim and Howard, Michele, Steve and Sabrina, to name a few) and it's made me and JJ talk a lot more about child-rearing in our first year of marriage than probably the average couple. Or maybe all newly married couples wax intellectual about how they would like to raise their children and we're not that special. Either way, we've been talking about children and how we want to raise them and how we hope and pray they'll turn out. Here are some notes about what we're hoping for: * I hope my child is passionate about God. I know that both of us will remain faithful to the church and to God and I hope that we will be good enough parents to instill that same desire in our children. * I hope my child is passionate about what he or she does. Whether it be writing, baseball, music, whatever it is. I hope my child finds something he or she truly enjoys and loves and gives it the best effort possible. I also hope, in this same vein, that what my child is passionate about is not drugs or alcohol. * I hope my child understands the difference between respecting JJ and me (his or her parents) and agreeing with everything we ever say. * I hope that when he or she grows up, the past will have been rosy, fair, peaceful, and full of love. * I hope that on his or her wedding day(s) that the couple will look at JJ and me and say "We hope our marriage is like theirs." * I hope that we can see the stars and beauty of life in their eyes.
I just wanted to say, the earlier, the better. I recommend it beofre marriage, but we all knew you two would be fine long before you did. :) Meanwhile, one of Sabrina's favorite letters is one where I'm stunned by the idea of a woman wanting to have kids with me. After that, many conversations were held about different beliefs in child rearing.
Posted by
Steve (Oz) |
7/03/2006 07:36:00 AM