Kids say the darnedest things, part II
Yesterday towards the end of the work day I stopped by fellow cognitive student and lab member Ilana's office and immediately noticed the very happy looking pictures over her desk. She had a number of herself and Tim (her boyfriend) and then a ton of her nieces. That got us talking about small children and the remarkability of language development. My favorite 4-year-old, Genna, and favorite 2-year-old, Walker, in the short time I got to spend with them left me with enough snippets and I've heard enough stories that I could hold my own talking with Ilana. When Ilana was back over fall break it was her niece, Isabel's, birthday so she brought her presents. Isabel was prompted, "What do you say to Aunt Ilana?" to which Isabel replied, "Meeees you!" which is what Isabel always says to Ilana over the phone. Ilana's brother will promp Isabel and she'll tell her Aunt Ilana how much she misses her. But that seems to be what Isabel's got in her head when asked, "What do you tell Aunt Ilana?" Cute. Genna is a remarkably verbal little girl. Before I ever met her I had heard that at one point she said to her mother, "Uncle JJ needs him a wife." She had somehow put together the following: I want cousins. To get cousins Uncle JJ needs to have kids. To have kids Uncle JJ needs to get married. Uncle JJ needs him a wife. Very smart that Genna. Then, on JJ's birthday Genna (Paula) called her Uncle JJ and JJ asked her, "Genna, how old do you think your Uncle JJ is?" Genna goes, "45!" (JJ's 32). Then Paula asked, "Genna, how old do you think Mommy is?" "40!" Oh, Genna. The thing is ... think about it. She got the age difference just about right. Still quite remarkable. Walker, on the other hand, is a man of few words. This might be because he's only 2 or because he walks around with a pacifier in his mouth. But he knew enough that when I was playing with him on a horse his grandparents have at their house to yell out, "Giddup!" And he can dance. And when we were in Perry, completely unprompted he turned to JJ and said, "I wuv you!" which was so cute. When we were leaving he asked, "I go with you?" which he, of course, couldn't do but he's pretty much the sweetest, most laid back kid you'll ever meet. Walker's one of those kids that you see him and want to have 3 just like him. We get to see Genna and Walker again at Christmas. Stay tuned for lots more stories and of course tons of photos on my photo site. Oh and by the way ... if you have suggestions for Christmas presents for my favorite little people, be sure to suggest them. I'm running out of ideas ... it seems as though everything I think of they already have!