From Sarah
When I was 14 I had no social life. I had very few friends but my friends weren't people I hung out with, they were people I saw occasionally when I was at school or rehearsal. I had a swim team but they definitely weren't my friends ... I raced them every day after school and I'm sure it drove them crazy. Well, Sarah Cox showed up and that summer and for the rest of high school we were best friends. Recently, Sarah and I have been at odds with each other. Especially over this whole JJ thing. And you have to understand that for Sarah, who's a 2nd year law student at UC-Davis, it had to be weird for me to be completely absorbed in a man she had never met, plus, she knew I was planning on marrying him and that didn't help the situation either. This morning, I got this email from Sarah: Last night when I was in bed, I was remembering how the morning we got our IB scores, we woke up too early because we'd miscalculated the time difference, and then you came over and we slept for an hour and then got them. It was such a random memory, but it made me smile. Must be the finals that's making me remember days of test scores gone by. I remember that day, too. The test scores, what we had worked towards for 4 years, were set to be released at 8 am that morning. Well, we made a mistake calculating the number of hours from Greenwich time to Central time and were an hour off; they actually weren't ready until 9. So we just crawled into Sarah's bed, set the alarm, and woke up to get our scores later. We both passed. We both got our IB diplomas. And that fall Sarah went to McGill University in Montreal, Canada, and I headed off to Washington University in St. Louis. Over years we've grown apart a little but we've done a good job staying in touch. When I marry JJ, Sarah's going to be in the wedding party. Maybe for the sake of some IB scores, or the sake of really bad Homecoming dances, or our senior prom, or maybe for the sake of old East High. In the end, with all of our (sometimes raging) differences, Sarah's been a pretty good friend. The sad thing is, our personalities clash so often now that I forget how great a friend she was, and how great a friend she really is sometimes. So maybe it's not for the sake of all that other stuff. Maybe it's just for the sake of old friends.