Perpendicular Geometry
This weekend has been a busy one but it's been full of the fun stuff it seems like JJ and I rarely have time to get to. Yesterday we went to the library. Granted, I have to start my master's very shortly. However, until then there's no danger in going and getting interesting books and reading them. Currently on my reading list are: The Jesus I Never Knew by Phillip Yancey, A Woman's Place: Women Writing New Mexico by Maureen Reed, and a book about gender politics and food in the U.S. that I can't remember the title of and is in the other room so I'm way too lazy to get up and go get it. I have discovered that unless they're some sort of continuing story like a biography or autobiography, I get sort of bored with any given book within 3-4 readings of it (parts of it, not the entire book). As a result, as long as I start 2-3 books at one time I'm actually more likely to read them through. Weird, huh? Last night we met up with Will and Kristen Lingo at the North Carolina Museum of Art for an Aimee Mann concert. I am not the Aimee Mann fan, JJ is. JJ and Will and Kristen are. But I've heard her stuff and it's quite good. I'm just not well read Aimee-wise like those 3 are. Ben Lee (of "I'm Claire Danes' boyfriend" fame) opened for Aimee and he introduced one of his songs by saying "This song is in outright rebellion of perpendicular geometry." At that point I didn't care really what came next. A musician had just said "perpendicular geometry" live and onstage. That was good enough for me. The song was actually pretty good. I'm going to try and snag the copy of Ben Lee's album that Will got for Kristen (or rather I will send JJ on a mission to get it for me). Aimee played after that and she's very gifted musically. During the course of her set I saw her play no fewer than 4 instruments (acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass and keys) and she sang lead. If you don't know who Aimee Mann is go look up the Magnolia soundtrack. That's where her "Pop" appearance is probably best known. But anyway, there I was sitting on the lawn of the NCMA with Will, Kristen, and JJ. We were eating pasta flavored by garlic infused olive oil and sauteed mushrooms (my creation), vegetable and pasta salad, cheese and red and white wine (courtesy the Lingos). I felt very ... artsy. But now I'm SO CLOSE to crossing number 80 off my list. I've picked up: Michael Buble, Aimee Mann. I hadn't heard live music (worship on Sundays aside) in SO long and Aimee Mann is so good that I had a fabulous time. The sky was clear, and it was about 68-70 outdoors. How lovely. Today was church and then lunch with the Australies. And tomorrow I start the madness that is grading finals. But it was a good weekend.
hey... ben lee and claire danes are actually no more (i think they finally ended their five year relationship about a year and a half or so ago)
and ben lee's albums have been in serious decline over the past five years... "grandpaw would" or "something to remember me by" are his best...
i'll stop being a music nerd now...
Posted by
ned |
6/20/2005 09:43:00 AM
Since when do you read my blog???
Posted by
Mrs. Cooper |
6/20/2005 09:46:00 AM
i've been reading your blog for months and months now! i think you had a reference to it on your aim profile or something and i just added it to my "big list o' blogs"...
Posted by
ned |
6/22/2005 09:06:00 AM
Funny enough, JJ is the one who LOVES Aimee. I had not heard any of her stuff until about a month ago. Amazing, isn't it?
Posted by
Mrs. Cooper |
6/24/2005 01:08:00 PM