« Home | You're only the best I've ever had » | You say » | You are my reward » | Library of one » | Now and then » | At laaaaast » | Another list update » | Honey I'm home » | Live from Asheville » | The dress dilemma, part II »

The heat is on

I've never liked summer ... the heat, the humidity, the lack of a decent routine. I'm not saying that I don't appreciate that, as a graduate student, I get lots of flexibility over the course of a day during the summer. I enjoy the fact that as long as I get my work done, I can come and go as I please and since right now my work consists of piles and piles of reading, I can do it from the comfort of our air-conditioned apartment. But here we are in the last week of July and it is HOT. H-O-T hot. As in it's 10 am, and it's 85 degrees outside with a heat index of 90. Right now the relative humidity, according to the heat index calculator, is roughly 60-61%. That's what's leading to the feeling of 90. If that keeps up, by afternoon it's supposed to be 98 ... so that heat index would be .... well ... according to the heat index calculator I found, 126 degrees Fahrenheit. Clearly, some of the humidity is (hopefully) going to burn off since on the local forcast last night they were talking about heat indexes around 105 or just over, so I guess it'll drop down to around 45% relative humidity. Tomorrow's high is 102. If we keep that same 45% relative humidity ... it's supposed to feel like 118. Remember how I said I enjoy being in our apartment? This is a good example. I'm not going outside unless this place catches fire because then it would be cooler out there than in here.

Links