You say
I'm on a quest to find good books to read in my self-appointed down time. My preference is for non-fiction: biographies and autobiographies are my favorite, or things with Real stories from the ER or An inside look at marathons or some equally behind-the-scenes feel to it. My favorite book, probably of all time, is called Gold in the Water and it's by a guy who was, at one time (and may still be) a sports journalist. He somehow was granted permission to enter behind the gate of the Santa Clara Swim Club where Tom Wilkens (my all time favorite male swimmer thanks to this book) and Kurt Grote and a handful of other people prepare for the 2000 Olympic Games. If you haven't read it and you like sports stories, go read it. It's amazing. I've read a couple of autobiographies of athletes, Lance Armstrong, David Beckham, Terry Bradshaw, to name a few and have read books about psychology and athletes like Little Girls in Pretty Boxes. I'm about to start a book on figure skating as I am fascinated by the whole "behind-the-scenes" thing of how training works but here's my question and purpose for blogging today: What's your recommendation? Knowing what I like and all .... any ideas for me?
I just finished Marriage: A History, by Stephanie Coontz. Very interesting.
I go to the library, and I find one book I know I'll like, and then I go to that part of the library and browse that section. So, for Little Girls in Pretty Boxes, I'd end up bringing home other books about figure skating, gymnastics and body image.
I liked The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf, and Kristen Luker's Politics of Motherhood.
Posted by
Sarah |
7/22/2005 09:51:00 AM
Well yes that's how I look for books, too, browsing in that section. I guess i just haven't been hardcore about finding good stuff lately.
Posted by
Mrs. Cooper |
7/22/2005 10:29:00 AM
You've been busy. :-)
When I get home, I'll look through my collection of non-fiction to see if there's more stuff I can recommend. I think there might be another book by the author of Little Girls in Pretty Boxes that's interesting.
Posted by
Sarah |
7/22/2005 11:26:00 AM
Devil in the Details, by Jennifer Traig.
It's a memoir about growing up with scrupulosity, a religious form of OCD and it's pretty funny.
Posted by
Anonymous |
7/24/2005 12:43:00 AM
The last non-fiction book I read was Nickel and Dimed... it's not about sports, but it is definitely a behind the scenes look at getting by in our country.
Also, one of my good friends is reading Diet for New America; she can't put it down. It's not actually about dieting... but be careful, it will probably make you want to lay off the meat...
Posted by
Anonymous |
7/24/2005 06:36:00 PM