« Home | At laaaaast » | Another list update » | Honey I'm home » | Live from Asheville » | The dress dilemma, part II » | Independence Day » | If my memory serves me correctly ... » | Quentin Thomas has a posse » | Just in case you need a visual, here they are. Ky... » | Can I have just one more moondance? »

Now and then

I've been reading my father-in-law's latest book, Halfway Home. In it are stories from JJ's last college years, his graduation, and a little bit afterward. It's fascinating to me to read these because unlike Steve and Sabrina, I have not known JJ his whole life. And not only have I not known him his whole life, but he's got quite a bit more life under his belt than I do. We were talking at dinner the other night about how I probably wouldn't have liked him if I had met him in college. His study habits would have driven me mad, his football habits would have disgusted me, and when he turned 21 his (normal-for-a-college-senior) weekend life would have been a total turn off. On the other hand, I've seen pictures and he's still dark and good-looking and from reading some stories and hearing some stories it sounds like he was still the same sweet, good-hearted guy I married recently. But he probably wouldn't have liked me if he met me in college either. I would have been too serious, I didn't like football (and had never seen a game even) and my (then-abnormal) distaste for college weekend life would probably have been a turn off. But then he pointed out that I had the same drive and character I have now, and maybe that would have drawn us to be friends at least. But then if he hadn't been ready to marry until he turned 32, well, I probably would have moved on by then, even if I had wanted to date him in college. Sometimes I think about what might have happened if we hadn't both moved to the Triangle when we did, or what would have happened if our (wonderful, amazing, you-should-try-it-this-Sunday) church hadn't existed like it, or ... a bunch of other different circumstances that might have caused us to not meet. With all the people in the world it amazes me that God took the time to give us a nudge in the right direction - towards each other. Keep a lookout, He might be nudging you next!

Links