« Home | You say » | You are my reward » | Library of one » | Now and then » | At laaaaast » | Another list update » | Honey I'm home » | Live from Asheville » | The dress dilemma, part II » | Independence Day »

You're only the best I've ever had

JJ took me out on our first married date tonight. It's funny, neither of us is big on drama or over-romancing the life out of a day ... or surprises for that matter. I had told JJ on Wednesday that I would like to see a movie this weekend. He responded (as a good husband should ...) "How about I take you to dinner, too and we make it a date?" Of course. Last night we were talking and he said that his plan was to take me to P.F. Chang's. The wonderful, honest relationship we have I responded with something vaguely non-commital like, "That sounds okay." Don't get me wrong. I like P.F. Chang's. A lot. But we've been twice in the last 3 weeks and really for what you pay, I personally think we could do better. So then we threw out Kanki, a hibachi style Japanese steakhouse not far from our apartment. After tossing out other steak ideas (Outback ...) he finally tossed out the suggestion of Firebird's Rocky Mountain Grill, out by Southpoint. The last time we went was on my and Sabrina's joint birthday shindig and let's just say that JJ's stomach was not at its best that night and there was no steak to be had. But tonight, we definitely had steak. 14 ounces of medium-rare ribeye steak, preceded by a Caesar salad (that we shared) and accompanied by mashed potatoes for him and steak fries for me. Mmmmm .... I love red meat ..... yummmmm ..... cooooooowwwww. Sorry, where was I? Right. Date. After that we walked around Southpoint and then over to the movie theatre where we saw Wedding Crashers. It was hilarious. If you're in the mood for some silly, but well-acted classic humor, go see it. It was great. Afterward, as people were leaving I looked over and saw a high school couple locking lips a few seats down. We made our exit discreetly seeing as how "We should give them their privacy" as JJ put it. It's funny, reading this you wouldn't think it was all that .... extraordinary. Dinner, stroll, movie, go home. Not that atypical for a Saturday night. But it was the best date I've ever had.

Links