« Home | Go read someone else's opinion » | The green eyed monster » | Weekend update with Angela Cooper » | Doggie doggie » | On the level » | Just for now » | Thursday » | What the children think » | Weekend of go-go-go-go » | Book crushes »

It's on the roof!

This weekend is the alumni meet at Wash U. I am so totally bummed I can't go. Laura lives in St. Louis, Laurel is going, Chewie is going, Colette already bought her ticket so I'm assuming she's going, even Arthur is going back to see everyone. And I believe that Sarah and Jess are going, too. I was in the class that had 2 alumni meets while we were actually at Wash U - one our freshman year and on our senior year - but what that means is that there are actually 3 years before we get to come back for an alumni meet. It's funny, if the meet had fallen a year ago I likely would have been able to go. There would have been some major mooching from mom and dad, begging for plane ticket money against my better judgment, but taking it and going anyway. But this year, no such doing. It's okay, it's not like I would trade where I am now just to go to the alumni meet but there's part of me that definitely wishes I could be there. Especially since everyone is gonna be. And especially since I have not actually raced IN an alumni meet yet. My first year, I was injured. And my senior year I had just dislocated my shoulder the week before. So have I ever competed in an alumni meet? No. Not as a student OR as an alumnus. Which is sort of sad. It's okay I guess, in 3 years we'll have another. So what's that, 2008? In 2008 I will try and be sure to go back for the meet. But there's something to be said about inserting more time distance in there - I wonder where Colette and Laurel and Behrman and I are going to be in 3 years. I haven't talked to Jess or Sarah since my wedding. I talk to Brad and Arthur about 3 times a year. Who knows what will happen in 3 years? And really by then would Arthur even WANT to go back (and I wouldn't blame him if he didn't). Life is so different now than it was then ... and I'm not sure I'm willing to say if one was better than the other. They're just different. Obviously being married doesn't compare to having a team but then again, swimming with a great team is something that can't compare to being married. It's a mystery. I hope someone calls me from the meet and from the alumni weekend. I'm going to badly wish I was there. If I look gloomy this weekend it's because I'm envisioning chlorine and cheers and the red and green, shotgunning beers in the shower, and partying with the swimmers. *sigh*

Links