« Home | Knock 3 times on the ceiling if you want me » | Not that my life is deserving » | The Madness » | Curious yet tasty food experiment » | Rage against the machine » | Odds and ends » | Can I tell you something? » | So I don't have to » | American TV watcher » | Salt of the earth »

Constants aren't so constant anymore

Last night, for the first time in awhile, we got a crowd of people to go out for basketball. We met up with Dave, Albert, Brian, Jamie, Rob, Will and Jen eventually came at Bailey's for some food and drinks and big screen TV sweet 16 action. It had been a long long time since we'd gone to Bailey's ... and I can't remember the last time a good sized group of us went. First, the food. I had been wanting cheese fries for a long long time. We decided that as good as we usually are the rest of the week (and really as good as we've been for the last 2 months about food) that last night we were just going to eat, drink, and be merry. So we got cheese fries. And then Albert, who was the second person to show up, got spinach artichoke dip. JJ had a beer, Albert had the tap special for the night and the rest of the people started showing up. Finally, dinner time rolled around. I wasn't sure what I wanted to get - at Bailey's I usually got a burger or the chicken fingers basket but Will was talking about the fish and chips and so I waited till he got his food, had a corner and was taken by the alluring, beer-battered, deep fried, vinegary, salty, goodness ... so I ordered fish and chips. My previous experience with fish and chips involved those triangular fish things that are perfectly golden but not very tasty but these ... these were lovely filets of fish dipped in beer-batter and fried perfectly. And for the first time I put the malt vinegar and the lemon juice on the fish and gave it this nice tangy, tart, succulent flavor. Best fish and chips I've ever had. When we go back to Bailey's I will for certain be getting the fish and chips. We went to see the Wichita State-George Mason game and WSU lost. Poor Shockers. But we had a good time and the Boston College-Villanova game was outstanding and there was good food, good friends, and a lot of fun. It was a group of people that, while they didn't really know each other that well and ranging from guys that I still think of as "Jamie's upstairs neighbors" but are awesome awesome guys, to people from JJ's office, to people from newhope, got along really well. Everyone had something to talk about and someone to talk to, funny stories were told, laughs were had, and I'm pretty sure a good time was had by everyone who could come. We don't necessarily have the time or money to do this a lot, but when we do it I enjoy it a lot. Hats off to my friends and my husband for making my night spectacular.

Links