Rage against the machine
I have a bone to pick with whoever is in charge of the weather around here.
And I'm talking about the weather around here as in how weird it's been. See this diagram? It's a chart of the average temperatures around here and what do you notice? The average high temperature in January is 49, February is 54 and 62 in March. And if you work that out between the average high and average low, the "average" temperature was generally around 38.5. This year the average temperature in January was 47.8. My rough calculations are a little bit off but according to the official weather report it was 8.1 degrees above normal. And the same has gone on since then. Here we are in the second week of March and it's supposed to be 80+ on Sunday. EIGHTY DEGREES. Well one thing's clear: I definitely didn't move down here for the weather. It is miserable. And this year I feel like I got cheated. No snow, no ice, no wintry mix, no 2 weeks below freezing. None of that. What kind of winter is it when you can wear flip flops outside in January? And you can go outside without a jacket on Christmas? It's NOT WINTER! I can't wait to move north. At least to a place where it snows a few times a year and I have to scrape the frost off my car at least during December and January. I miss winter and I miss not having allergies for more than 2 months a year. Here my allergies kick in with the slightest thaw, and this year we never had a great freeze so stuff was still floating around in the air half alive. My sinuses are never going to forgive me.
Haha. Just wait. You asked for it and now the next place you move will be Minneapolis and you'll be so cold you won't be able to stand it! You'll be so sick of winter by Thanksgiving you'll wish for summer and there will be 6 months of winter left!
Actually we had a sort of mild winter but March is a doozy. The previous two years for the auction I've gone in skirts and bare legs. Last night? Pants, closed toed shoes, and the full winter coat. There was ice on my car this morning and it snowed in San Francisco last night. All this moisture is good though. Means a good snowpack in the mountains.
Posted by
Sarah |
3/11/2006 09:32:00 PM
What is wrong with you? Wintery mix means more work for Steve... after three years of that crap, Steve needed a break. TWC needed a break. We earned it. Steve doesn't know why Steve is speaking the the third person.
Posted by
Steve (Oz) |
3/12/2006 09:03:00 AM
Ever since the winter started up here in CT I've been jealous of the NC weather reports... so whaddya think of that?
Posted by
Michael |
3/12/2006 05:25:00 PM
It used to snow multiple times every winter in the Triangle. Seriously.
Posted by
Anonymous |
3/12/2006 07:05:00 PM