I scream, you scream, we all scream for cake!
Yesterday in honor of Michele's birthday I made my very first attempt at baking. I made my very own version of black-and-white cake. One side of the cake was chocolate layers filled with chocolate ganache and then frosted with chocolate. On the other side was classic yellow cake filled with strawberry preserves and whipped cream. Here's a peak into my (very) amateur baking adventure
Here's a picture of the chocolate cakes cooling:
And the yellow cakes cooling:
While I used chocolate and yellow cake mix from a box, I did try to make my own filling. The ganache turned out lovely. Not bad for my first time using a double boiler! I made it using an Alton Brown recipe. It involved dark chocolate and heavy cream. Total richness ... if you like chocolate.
Then I filled my cakes. And for some reason didn't take a picture of the yellow cakes but here are the chocolate ones:
In order to make the cakes half black and half white after I filled them I cut them each in half and pushed the halves back together:
Frosted them and then they were ready to eat! If you'll notice, the two cakes look pretty different. The one that I frosted with ganache, well, the two halves weren't the same height. I cut them unevenly. So I put some of the extra cake on top and made it look bumpy. But they were the same height after I did that. I took the top one (frosted with ganache) to small group. The other one, frosted with regular chocolate icing, JJ took to work today.
Happy birthday to my favoritest Michele. I'm going to try and be better about pictures so this weekend we have the newhope banquet (which JJ and I are getting all dressed up for) and the Cary Wine Festival which I think we're going to with Jamie and Rob. Lots of pictures!