But who says I can't look?
I don't need or want a dog right now. We don't have the space or the time for a puppy. Plus, neither one of us is home enough during the day to deal with letting the puppy out of the crate to get exercise and not be boxed up. I have to admit that our first run-in with a dog was the perfect storm gone wrong. If I hadn't been sick, and therefore didn't have to run to the bathroom every 10 minutes, making the dog panic and meaning that every time I came out of the bathroom there was pee on the floor, and if I hadn't been so weak from being sick that I could barely carry the dog up and down the stairs we probably would have been able to give the poor dog a fair chance. So it's true, the first time we got a dog it was a disaster. But in the future, when we're settled down, I'd like to have a dog. And to that end I've been looking and looking specifically at two breeds, Aussies and Shih-tzus. The more I read and the more I research the two breeds, though, I'm leaning toward Aussie. Aussies are known for being sociable, and not having in-bred problems. Sarah had an Aussie when we were in high school and Sissie is one of the most lovable dogs I've ever met. And Sarah now has Keeley who is also an Aussie and reportedly very sweet. I'm not of the temperament to have a dog in a third story apartment. I'm also not of the temperament to have to undo anything a previous owner might have done that led to strange behavior. The only thing with getting a bred Aussie is that it's going to be expensive. So it's going to be awhile. Whenever it is we get a dog, I'd like to get a puppy, and that way the puppy's only home would be ours. This a long way in the future, but last night Sarah was telling me it was Keeley's birthday and I was looking at puppy pictures so there you go.
Have you forgotten our sweetest Aussie ever, Jessie? She was the best dog. I hope Keeley turns out half as good as her!
Posted by
Sarah |
5/02/2006 10:27:00 AM
*embarrassed* I don't remember Jessie that well. I met her a couple of times I think ... Jessie was your dad's right? I spent way more time with you at your mom's than your dad's.
Posted by
Mrs. Cooper |
5/02/2006 10:33:00 AM
Jessie was our family dog! We got her when I was 3, and she lived till January of our senior year! She used to come stay at Mom's with Sissie when Dad would go out of town. She was the bestest dog EVER. Ask my mom. She'll tell you. We all still miss her.
BUT! We have always had good Aussies so I know when you get one, you'll be happy with it!
Posted by
Sarah |
5/02/2006 11:26:00 AM