Goodbye to everything I thought I knew
Last night JJ and I had dinner with Heidi. Tonight is Heidi's last night here in the Triangle and then she's headed off to study World Missions at Asbury. First she will be off to Brazil on a missions trip with 12 other missionaries from newhope and then she will return to Kentucky and start her studies. We lingered over dinner at On the Border and reminisced and caught up on each other's lives. Heidi has been a staple at newhope church for so long that I think it's really going to sink in when I don't see her on Sundays anymore and we won't be meeting her for lunch. It's an interesting story how Heidi and JJ and I became friends because for awhile Heidi and I were friends and JJ and Heidi were friends but the three of us never spent time together. After JJ and I started dating the three of us started hanging out and then Heidi was quite instrumental in assuring that my marriage proposal didn't occur in a car or outside on a sidewalk but rather in the church itself. It's strange to think of life without Heidi. She's the closest thing I've had to a spiritual mentor since I've been here in North Carolina and I have watched her grow over the last 2 years. I will miss her. JJ will too.
And as if that wasn't enough change for the week, our church building is coming down. A wealthy gentleman is buying the land where our current building is, knocking the building down, and building his retirement home. This means that we have to move. It also means that the building we've been in for 2 1/2 years is going to be demolished. I didn't really think about it until yesterday but it was in that building that JJ and I became friends. It's where we started dating. He proposed on the stairwell leading up to the tech booth. We got married there. Our whole life is wrapped up in that building and in a week that building will become a pile of rubble. This place
is going to be destroyed.
Memories of moments like these are all JJ and I will have left of the place where our life began
It isn't that I don't think the next place is going to be great or that we will build more memories but up till now that building is where our life is and next week it's coming down. I think that tonight JJ and I are going to go to the church and just walk over it and reminisce a little. It's the end of an era ... Heidi and the building both at the same time. Maybe next week life will return to normal.
I can really tell that you're feeling a lot of emotion over all this change, but I think it's so wonderful how many great memories you have in your church, and that will be something you and JJ will always share. Thanks for sharing here -- sometimes pouring our your heart can be hard, but it was really sweet to hear how you're feeling about everything. Good luck to your friend Heidi!
Posted by
springsandra |
7/27/2006 08:22:00 PM