« Home | Ch-ch-chaaanges » | C'mon c'mon c'mon, let's go ... » | It's been a hard day's night » | In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of... » | One more year » | *cough* and *sniff* » | Musings on chlorine » | New baby new life, we will teach him to speak French » | I never even had a chance you know » | The honeymoon is over »

Labor up the laboring wave

Well it's official. After months of applications and one week of whirlwind interviews, I have a job! I will be teaching third grade at Cresset Christian Academy in the fall. I think I'm one of two teachers, but looking on the school's website I'm suddenly not sure that's the case. Hopefully it is, though. Otherwise I have some serious panicking and hysteria to prepare myself for. For me, not the students. I'm really excited and I'm hoping to bring some fresh approaches to third grade. Not like I'm going to try and change the school's curriculum. Definitely not. What I'd like to do is have lots of enrichment and lots of supplemental stuff. The stuff that challenges kids without making them fall off track of the important foundational stuff. I've got ideas for field trips and visitors and how to make learning fun. I hope it works. For example, I'm going to start building a webpage for my class. And if I get permission I'm going to put up a "fact of the day." Stuff like "Did you know that a hummingbird's wings can beat up to 80 times in ONE SECOND? See how many times you can blink in 5 seconds. Divide that number by 5 to find out how many times you blinked in 1 second [Mrs. Cooper sneaks in a math practice problem!] Are you as fast as a hummingbird?" Of course I will have to take some precautions. When I put up my "Did you know that if you drink too much milk it will make you throw up because milk ruins the pH balance of your stomach?" it will have to be followed up with a bolded warning DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!. So this is my plea for interesting facts. If you have random interesting facts that would be fun for third graders, leave them as comments! They can be math, science, literature, art, theatre, music ... whatever ... as long as it's G rated. Who knows, it might show up on my "Interesting fact of the day" link. Part of my hope is that I can show these kids that learning is so much fun. It took me a little while but by the time I was in the third grade (as best I can remember) I loved school. Now granted, I was the kid in 1st grade who refused to leave early for Thanksgiving vacation because I didn't want to miss recess. But later on I loved school. And by the time I got to high school I lamented the days I missed class, no joke. But I'm just hoping that I will be able to show these children how the whole world is fascinating and that we can never stop learning about it. Big task, I know. But hey, I'm usually a big task kind of girl.

I used to have a bunch of Snapple Fact caps, but I threw them out. They would have been helpful.

Post a Comment

Links