Movin' on out
We're moving tomorrow. Or at least tomorrow is when our crew of friends is coming to help us move. Whether we'll actually be all moved out by the end of tomorrow remains to be seen. I'm suddenly aware of how much STUFF we have. And most of it isn't even really stuff we use on a daily basis. There are things we own that we don't use on a daily basis that we actually need. For example, my printer or our kitchen table, or certain kitchen tools like a meat cleaver or my hair dryer (which I won't use until there's a freeze or something equally cold). On the other hand we have tons and tons of stuff that we own that we never use. Most of it, to be honest, belongs to my pack-rat husband. Perfect example ... we found his debate bucket from high school in the closet the other night. We have to pack it up and move it over. Has he used it in oh .... the last 15 years? I bet not. Plus, JJ-the-reader has a gazillion books, all of which have to be moved over, unpacked and reshelved. Most of my stuff from my initial move over here in July has remained more or less packed. My winter clothes are still in suitcases and a lot of my athletic equipment is, at best, moderately accessible in closets. However, I will admit that things I have unpacked are all over the place so it's not like I'm being neat and clean and JJ is being a mess. It's just a general mess. One difference, though, is that I'm not a pack-rat, nor have I ever been. Call it the opposite of sentimental but if I'm not using something anymore, I throw it out. There's no reason to keep it (one exception: things that I know I will use later i.e. my violin (duh) and my GameCube which I don't play much anymore because we have a PS2 but I am certainly keeping). We have 3 DVD players. 3 WORKING DVD players. We have 4 TV sets. 2 Tivos. A solid entertainment center and a dying one. Bookshelves everywhere, some of which I hope will die in the move, some of which might still be presentable. The point is that I currently just happen to be living in a place that is essentially a bachelor pad. The rug on the floor is (in my opinion) hideous, the walls are bare except for a couple of prints and (to JJ's credit) a nice painting or two, the bathroom is covered with JJ's former goatee shavings, the bathtub has a ring of soap scum, the desk JJ uses is falling apart. In short, while I don't mind living here, it was always a temporary situation. I'm hoping that when we move the place will NOT look like JJ's bachelor pad anymore. No. Definitely not. But for that I will need the capable hands and mind of my mother-in-law. Because she's a gifted decorator and me? Not so much.