« Home | I'm so caught up » | Bad news ... not Bears, but Browns, Jaguars, Charg... » | For the love of food » | Just one more thing » | I'll get you my pretty » | Everywhere you go » | Beginnings » | The universe may not always play fair ... but at l... » | That don't keep me warm in the middle of the night » | The five people JJ hopes to meet in heaven »

Do not worry about tomorrow

I don't do New Year's Resolutions anymore. 3 years ago I made a resolution to swim well in UAAs. My shoulder busted - out of my control, couldn't do it. 2 years ago I made the resolution to run in a marathon. I had issues with shin splints and passing out and all sorts of other things. Out of my control. Again. So last year I made no resolutions. This year I, too, will make no resolutions. Last night, for New Year's Eve, we went to Dan's for our annual "party with Dan and Fogle" party. We had been invited to Steve and Sabrina's for their annual murder mystery party (at which, apparently, Curtis was falsely accused of murder and incorrectly arrested for arson) but since they own Belle and Cooper, and because of Belle and Cooper I always have that teeny tiny chance of anaphylaxis so we opted not to. At Dan's we played DDR. That's "Dance Dance Revolution" for those who might not know. It's so much fun. Fun fun fun fun. I still stink at it but it's still a lot of fun. At midnight we ran in the new year, and then promptly left because we were running the service this morning. I'm not the biggest fan of huge parties that involve binge or overindulgent drinking, I don't consider eating 12 grapes at the stroke of midnight good luck, or eating black eyed peas, but with today being New Year's it does make me think about what this past year was like and what next year will be like. My friend Heidi once told me and JJ that the Holy Spirit has a forward momentum, that God never wishes for us to go backward or to stand still. In light of the coming of the new year that made me think: have I followed the Holy Spirit's momentum and moved forward? My first reaction is I don't know. But upon closer examination I find that maybe I have. Maybe not as much as God might have hoped, and definitely not every time I was prodded, but at least a little bit. So I guess I'm satistified. After all, to me, that's really, in the end, what counts. It's not whether I kept my resolutions, it's not whether I accomplished any academic, fitness, or social goals, or whether I did what people expected me to do. In the end, if I can look back over 2005 and say that I followed God's movement, then I am satisfied. But that does not make me complacent. I hope next year, instead of balking at certain godly directions, instead of hesitating, that I will learn to trust God first, and fear later. I'm not making any resolutions, but that's my growth hope for 2006. May your year be abundantly blessed.

Links